The Novelry Blog
Where the writers are.
I Write Because... Adele Parks May 30, 2021
Click here to read on...
- Life is complex and I am always trying to make sense of it.
- I like to entertain, be useful and have a role.
- I think I like being the centre of attention.
- I also hate being the centre of attention.
- I’m not great at acknowledging pain in real life but I find I’m excellent at acknowledging it on the page.
- Writers are interesting.
- Reading is empowering.
- I have a hunger to be known and understood.
- I have a desire to make connections and feel less alone.
- I cannot not.
I’ve found writing is best if:
- I don’t think about my mother reading what I have written.
- I don’t think about prizes, chart positions or reviews.
- I do think about being honest.
- I redraft and edit as I go along.
- I am disciplined and write regularly, by which I mean every day.
- I risk being unpopular, so I don’t chase a tide of popularity in terms of genre.
- I don’t copy other authors’ styles.
- I challenge myself.
- I doubt myself.
- I believe in myself.
I’ve managed to write...
Get on the list!
Get the Sunday paper for writers to your inbox.