From Booker listed, award-winning author of literary and historical fiction, Louise Dean.
1. At the core of every good concept is a paradox. (Find it, and you've got a story.)
2. Don't write for money. Don't write for free. In other words, don't write to make sure you can eat, but don't spill your words without getting paid for them. Making it your living is the best way to keep your standards high. Besides no one wants anything that's free.
3. A novel is best with one timeline for the main story, written in the present tense, narrated in the third person. Now we have that sorted let's move on.
4. 'The voice' is yours. Fix your mind on someone you care about and feel relaxed enough with to be yourself, probably someone dead, and talk to them. Sing your heart.
5. In the first chapter everything changes. It's all fucked up now. But remember, you and me both know it's going to get a whole lot worse for Mrs Wright or Mr Wrong.
6. Stop making excuses for not writing, like plotting or research. Do research late into the writing.
7. The plot happens after the first draft is done and dusted, when the story has worked you out.
8. Your main character is the part of you you've been trying to hide your whole lifetime, but he or she looks like someone you were fond of in childhood and has one or two good points and bad habits robbed from people you work with.
9. Every novel is a tragedy. Real life is comedy.
10. You'll never write better books, if you don't read better books. Start with reading them. Hundred and hundreds of them, and get yourself a professional juicer like The Novelry. They'll show you these three noble truths.
Join The Novelry and get serious about your writing craft!
If you’re just starting out, you’d be wise to start with The Classic Course which will help you nail the big idea here. If you would like guidance all the way from an idea through to completing a book to publishing standard then our Book in a Year plan is best for you here. If you’d like to get stuck in and start writing an idea you have, then our Ninety Day Novel course would be the jumpstart for you here. You’ll be able to choose your own tutor from our award-winning and bestselling authors, and as a member you’ll have access to our regular writing classes. You’ll enjoy the worldwide community of writers like you in every time zone. It’s a happy place and you’ll find a warm welcome whether you're an old hand or a complete beginner. Discover why so many writers describe The Novelry as 'life-changing' (it's the phrase we hear most!) Happy writing starts here.